Keto Berries Pop Tart with Cereal Milk Icing
To celebrate the launch of our new, low carb Berries cereal, we're sharing a recipe for a low carb take on a childhood morning classic—pop tarts! Prep over the weekend for a sweet and filling keto breakfast throughout the week or for a tasty nostalgic treat anytime!
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp Almond Flour
- ⅛ cup Dry Nonfat Milk Powder
- 3 tbsp Erythritol, or sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum
- 5 tbsp Cold Butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4-6 tbsp Sugar Free Berry Jam, or jam of choice
For the Cereal Milk Icing
- 2 tbsp Milk
- ½ cup new Keto Berries cereal by the Cereal School
- ¾ cup Powdered Erythritol
- 1 pouch keto Berries cereal, to top
Prepare the Dough1. Whisk together almond flour, powdered milk, erythritol, and xanthan gum. Cut in the cold butter until it resembles sand.
2. Add beaten egg and mix until a soft dough forms. Form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Prep the Icing
3. Soak ½ cup keto Berries cereal in 2 tablespoon of milk. Stir to coat and let the flavors absorb for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Discard cereal and stir the powdered erythritol into the remaining milk.
*1 drop of red food dye can be added for pink icing!*
Make the Tarts
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
6. Lay the dough on a large piece of parchment and cover with plastic wrap.
7. Roll the dough into a large round and begin to slice out 2 rectangles, about 3x2 inches. If the dough starts getting too sticky, pop it back in the fridge for a few minutes.
8. Place one rectangle on the baking sheet and top with jam. Cover with the second piece of dough and crimp edges with a fork.
9. Re-roll the remaining dough and repeat the filling process until you have 3-4 pop tarts (depending on your size).
10. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Let cool before icing. Top with more Berries cereal!
Makes 4 small pop tarts
Serving Size: 1 pop tart
Total Carbohydrate: 11g
Net Carbs: 8g
*carbs may differ depending on the filling you choose!